Yesterday, I shared my Things That Make Me Happy list. That was the Reader’s Digest version. In the interest of not putting you to sleep, I kept it short. Besides, it changes almost hourly! Like right now, I’m looking out the library window towards the hills and the trees are sparkling with dew. Almost like G -d said, “Let there be glitter.”
Today’s list includes things that tickle a farmer’s or rancher’s or Big Boss’s fancy. Some days, it seems like pretty much nothing or nobody is happy…tires go flat, engines blow up, cattle get out, fences are down…I’ll stop there. At this moment, cattle pens are being ridden and checked, feed bunks are being filled with silage, wheat is being planted, grain corn is being harvested and a new alley at one of the feedlots is being smoothed and graded. That’s just on our place. And since everyone is out working like crazy on the farm today already..and have been for quite a while…it’s nice to remember what makes their day. What floats their boat. What makes them smile.
1. Doughnuts anytime, anywhere. Just doughnuts. Please. Update: food. just food!
2. A tractor that starts the first time. Update: Also new tractors are highly sought after!
3. Planted seed that comes up. And lives. Update: And rain. We’ve had a record year!
4. Irrigation wells that don’t’ go dry. Update: Because of the record rains, wells are recharging! YAY!
5. Less government regulations. A party might break out that one. Update: We now have more. Go figure. Update on the update: we are having less every day!!! Can you believe it?!
6. New feed trucks. Update: Not so new now but still running. That is a plus.
7. Roads that aren’t dusty. Never will happen but nice to think about. Update: Still dusty but, again, rains have minimized that.
8. Keys that are found. And stay found. Update: Yeah, we’re still losing keys. And phones.
9. New caps. You can NEVER have too many. Kinda like shoes for us gals. Update: I’m pretty sure that we could now open a hat museum.
10. The smell of freshly turned dirt/ground/earth. Beats Chanel #5 to heck. Update some things never change!
11. Broke in jeans…for BB, the jeans would be the cheapest on earth, whatever those may be. If they’re not the cheapest that I can find, I just keep my mouth shut. Update: He’s on a new jean kick…certain brand that I lightly bleach and wash and wash… “so they’re not hot.”
12. Gas in the pickup. Cardinal rule: keep the tank FULL. At all times. Update: Again, some things never change.
13. A clean desk..no wait, that one makes me happy. Sorry, I got carried away completely!! Update: addd to that a HUGE dining room table AND 2 side tables beside favorite chairs.
14. A hot cup of decaf on a cold night and a fire roaring in the fireplace after a day in sub-zero weather. Update: a nap also please?
15. A new piece of land…Oh, the possibilities! Update: Just when you think they’ve bought the last piece, more shows up…
16. Tearing down stuff to put new stuff up…that could range from fences to old barns. (BTW, farmers were green before the green-elites out there were just a glint in their father’s eyes. Old barns build new houses and sheds and garages, etc.) We were repurposing before repurposing was cool.
17. Hearing, “Paw, can I ride in the feed truck with you?” That’s THE Big One! The one that will continue to get him out of bed each morning for a long time!!!!!!! Update: Hearing, “Paw, I’ll drive the truck/tractor FOR you.”
18. Having a full silage pit at the end of summer. That’s a REALLY good thing, Martha! 🙂 Update: Still working on that. Every year.